Strategic and crisis communication, public affairs and advocacy consulting services.
Comprehensive political consulting for independent candidates and causes.
Jim Jonas helps corporate, public affairs, nonprofit and political clients craft and deliver effective communication, advocacy and public affairs messaging projects and campaigns.
He is currently director of corporate communications at Vail Resorts, the world's premier mountain resort company, where he helps solve crisis communications, reputation management and public affairs challenges.
In 2014, he served as the lead consultant and campaign manager for Greg Orman's independent campaign for the U.S. Senate in Kansas.
He works with national election reform organizations including the Independent Voter Project and The Centrist Project and is the founder of Colorado Independent Voters, and treasurer of The Independent Project PAC.
From 2000 to 2011, Jim was a partner at Peak Creative Media, a creative communications and public affairs company he co-founded and helped grow from a single client into an award-winning, 18-employee, $6MM/year agency. Jim provided a range of effective messaging and public advocacy campaigns for clients including T-Mobile, Great-West, Qwest (now CenturyLink), First Data, Western Union, Dex Media, Pinnacol, One Colorado, Gill Foundation, Denver Botanic Gardens, Coloradans for Sensible Solutions, Foundations for Colorado's Future and many others. He sold the firm in 2011.
His previous political clients include Bush-Quayle '92, Alexander for President '96, the Republican National Committee, the National Republican Congressional Committee and numerous winning campaigns for the US Senate, US House of Representatives, gubernatorial and local offices. He got his start in political consulting as a writer and producer for consulting legend Roger Ailes in New York, Los Angeles and Washington, DC. He wrote and produced more than half of the radio spots broadcast by Bush-Quayle '92 including a commercial awarded the Pollie for "Best Presidential Radio Spot" of the cycle by the American Association of Political Consultants.
He's won numerous other creative awards, including several Pollies, Gold Quills from the IABC and was named a "Rising Star" by Campaigns & Elections magazine.
With High Frontier Productions, he led the development and marketing of several celebrated satirical web sites including WeLoveTheIraqiInformationMinister.com and TomCruiseIsNuts.com which have earned millions of web visits and sold thousands of fantastically silly t-shirts.
He and his family live in Denver.
Recently In The News:
What We Know About Colorado's Unaffiliated Voters - Colorado Matters, Colorado Public Radio, May 9, 2016
Find the Good and Praise it: Highlighting NonPartisan Organizations That Are Putting Voters Ahead of Parties by Jim Jonas - Published on IVN, June 4, 2015
Do You Have to Belong to a Political Party to Vote? Third Circuit Court of Appeals to Decide by Jim Jonas - Published in IVN, March 13, 2015
Dole Institute Post Election Panel - CSPAN - December 2014
Orman had highest PAAR (Percent Above Anticipated Result) score of any federal candidate in 2014 - Lincoln Park Strategies - January 2015
Political Experts Recap Contentious Kansas Elections - KCUR, December 2014
One Election Ends, Another Starts - Kansas City Star, December 2014
Two Party System is Stacked Against Outsiders - Kansas City Star, January 2015
Founder/Partner Jan 2011 - Present
JKJ Partners provides comprehensive strategic communication and management services to private companies and nonprofit, public affairs and political organizations. Jim Jonas is nationally recognized as a leading political consultant for independent candidates and causes.
Recent projects include:
Building a Better Colorado - Led the online communication and public outreach efforts to help educate Colorado voters on critical policy challenges facing the state to lay the groundwork for a series of ballot initiatives in 2016.
Centrist Project - Help the Centrist Project research and recruit independent US Senate candidates for the 2016 cycle.
Greg Orman for U.S. Senate - An independent voice to represent Kansas in the United States Senate. The Orman campaign was the highest-profile independent federal campaign in the 2014 political cycle. Served as the lead consultant and campaign manager of the multimillion dollar effort. The Orman campaign led the polls for much of the fall and earned kudos from numerous national political observers as the "campaign of the year" for running a highly-competitive independent race in Kansas.
Independent Voter Project - A national organization with a mission to encourage common-sense reforms to demand primaries focused on voters' rights -- not party privileges.
Americans Elect – Served as Chief Communications Officer to Americans Elect, a 501(c)4 created to organize a ballot access and national online nomination process to put a competitive, centrist presidential ticket on every state ballot in 2012. Served on the organization’s national Advisory Board. Directed development and strategic planning for the multi-million dollar organization’s messaging, public relations, voter outreach. Hired and supervised staff and consultants..
Led a previous effort in 2006-08 to promote national centrist politics as Co-Founder and CEO of Unity ’08, created to nominate a bipartisan “unity” presidential ticket in 2008. Political legends Hamilton Jordan, Doug Bailey and Gerry Rafshoon were the other co-founders. S
PoliticsOnline named Unity ’08 one of its “Top Ten Who Are Changing the World of Internet and Politics.”
Other recent clients include: Independent Voter Project, DaVita, Welltok, C1 Partners, Polhemus for U.S. Congress, Hancock for Mayor, High Frontier Productions, Mayor Ed Tauer (Aurora, CO), Colorado Springs Chamber of Commerce.
High Frontier Productions
Associate/Co-Founder May 1994 - Present
High Frontier Productions provides web development and social media consulting services to a broad variety of clients across the country.
In addition to their consulting work for high-profile associations, foundations, public affairs and nonprofit groups, Jim and his partners at High Frontier have produced several satirical web sites including TomCruiseisNuts.com and the wildly popular, WeLoveTheIraqiInformationMinister.com, which became a worldwide web sensation and was named one of the "Top 20 All-Time Internet Phenomena." Their viral sites have crashed servers, sold a lot of t-shirts, triggered threats of legal action, enraged a few, and entertained millions of web visitors.
Peak Creative Media
Co-Founder/Partner Jun 2000 - Dec 2010
• Co-founded Peak in June 2000 and led the agency’s growth from a single client into one of the top fifteen (Denver Business Journal) creative marketing agencies in Colorado. Sold the business to partners in June 2011.
• Led new business development, hired and managed staff, supervised senior account and client services and P&L budgeting.
• Chief copywriter and creative director for the firm’s internal communications, direct mail, print, Web, email and television advertising services.
• Developed comprehensive strategic advocacy, messaging, public relations and social media campaigns for issue clients including Coloradans for Sensible Solutions, Gill Foundation, Qwest, Foundations for Colorado’s Future, Victor Mitchell for Colorado, John Walsh for DA, and many candidates and issue committees. Leveraged best practices in integrated SEO/SEM, social media, Web 2.0 technologies and traditional and new media advertising.
• Led research and development of effective brand & identity, speeches and talking points, sales support and marketing collateral, newsletters and corporate annual reports, videos and integrated Web sites, television, online and radio advertising for clients including Pinnacol Assurance, Magna Energy, Western Energy Alliance, Green2Green, imerica, One Colorado, Utah Taxpayers Association, Denver Public Schools Foundation, Gill Foundation, Coloradans For Sensible Solutions, Say No to 43 and many others.
• Wrote, directed and executive produced numerous live and satellite/Webcast employee meetings, product introductions and internal shows, including Qwest BMG’s annual $1MM+ leadership meeting and Wall Street investor and shareholder shows for Dex, Qwest, T-Mobile and many others.
Jim Jonas Media
Founder/President Jan 1995 - Mar 1997
• Developed winning political and public affairs advertising and communications campaigns for numerous candidates, committees and public issue organizations including US Senator John Warner, Rep. Helen Chenoweth, the Republican National Committee, Attorney General Jerry Kilgore (VA), We The Parents, Great Schools, Deep Sea Conservation Coalition and many others.
• Served as the in-house media consultant and television writer/producer for targeted congressional races at the National Republican Congressional Committee and as the writer and executive producer of several videos nationally broadcast at the Republican National Convention in 1996.
Governor Lamar Alexander/Republican Exchange Network
Communications Director/Executive Producer Jan 1993 - Feb 1995
• Directed all national communications and public relations efforts for Lamar Alexander’s early campaign for the 1996 Republican presidential nomination.
• Developed, wrote and executive produced an award-winning national cable television show, The Republican Neighborhood Meeting, in addition to overseeing every facet of the campaign’s multi-million dollar voter communication, candidate presentation and speech training, public relations, advertising budget and staff. Alexander (now a US Senator from TN) came from back in the pack to emerge as one of the top contenders for the nomination, finishing 2nd in the Iowa caucuses and 3rd in the New Hampshire primary.
Political Consultant - Writer/Producer Jan 1991 - Jan 1993
• Wrote, directed and produced political television and radio advertising and comprehensive strategic messaging campaigns with political consulting legend Roger Ailes for the agency’s gubernatorial, senatorial and congressional candidates and political committee clients including President George H.W. Bush, Sen. Mike DeWine, Gov. George Allen, Rep. Rob Portman, Sen. John Seymour, Haley Barbour for Chairman, Rep. Roy Blunt, Mayor Steve Goldsmith, and many others.
• Wrote and produced national television spots and more than half of all the radio commercials broadcast by Bush/Quayle ’92. Wrote and produced a :60 spot for Bush/Quayle that won the 1992 Pollie Award (American Association of Political Consultants) for Best Presidential Radio Spot of the cycle.
Strategic communication, advocacy services for corporate, political, non-profit and public affairs organizations
Campaign message development and delivery
Crisis communication planning and management
Candidate speech/debate and corporate communicator training
Brand & identity development
Corporate communication planning and implementation
Live, televised and webcast event production